How do I get email messages to show on Opportunity or other object pages?
When you do not see email data on a particular type of record, it can either be because matching is not enabled or the page layout was not customized to show email matching. The latter is discussed below.
Login to Match My Email account. In the Email Cloud view, if matching is enabled and Match My Email could make the match based on email address or precision tag, you should see the Opportunity (or other record type) in the far right Type:Matches column. When matching data is shown in Email Cloud, the email message data is in Salesforce and it is an issue of a missing component on the object’s page layout.
To install the Visualforce component on the Opportunity page layout (as an example):
- A System Administrator in Salesforce should login and go to Setup.
- At left, in App Setup/Build > Customize > Opportunity -> Page Layout
- In top left of viewing pane, under Fields scroll to find Visualforce pages and click. Clicking Visualforce pages shows new options at right that look like buttons.
- Click and drag Section to lower portion of screen, placing it in under “System Information”. When green line appears in location desired, release mouse.
- After placing, in immediate window for Section details replace “New Section” with “Email Messages”
- Uncheck Edit Page (Detail Page can remain checked) and click button for 1-column layout.
- Click OK.
- Back at top in Visualforce Pages choices, click MME Email Messages and drag into the newly created section Email Messages. Again, a dark green line will guide placement.
- A blue box will appear – click on the wrench icon in top right corner of blue box (not the wrench icon for section).
- Change height to 400
- Check box for Show Scrollbars
- Click OK.
- Click Save in top left of viewing pane.
With the Visualforce component on the page layout, visit an Opportunity record to which emails have matched. Scrolling down to where the component was placed, the email data should be visible.
- When you are using multiple page layouts for a particular record type, the above steps would need to be repeated to put the component on each of the page layouts used.
- The Visualforce component is a custom object. Any Salesforce User with a standard level profile may need to have permissions granted. This can be done at the User level in permission set assignments, or by cloning their profile, adding custom object permissions for Match My Email objects (Email Messages, Email Message Related Objects, Secondary Email Addresses, and Matching Rules), and then reassigning new profile to user.
For assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want the Email Messages section much lower on the page, you can use the Related List option. Please note that the Related List option does not have the same robust data view and features of the Visualforce component.
To use the Related List on Opportunity page layout (as an example):
- In Salesforce, visit Name -> Set Up
- At left, in App Setup/Build > Customize > Opportunity > Page Layout
- Click Related Lists (choice under Fields that is highlighted in light blue near top left of screen). Clicking Related Lists shows new options at right that look like buttons.
- Click and drag Email Messages to lower portion of screen. When green line appears in location desired, release mouse.
- On the Email Messages section tab, click the wrench icon to open Related List Properties.
- Add “From”, “Subject”, “Date”, “Direction”, “Attachments” to the Selected Fields window.
- Remove “#” symbol from Selected Fields window.
- For Sort By choose “Date” from drop down menu.
- Click radial button for Descending.
- Click OK.
- Click Save (found above where you clicked on Related Lists towards top left)
- In Pop up window, click Yes.