Create a new Secondary Email Address for a Contact
A Secondary Email Address is an email address someone would use as an alternative for email communication. For example, a Contact’s primary email address may be email@example.com but sometimes they send an email message from firstname.lastname@example.org. There are two methods by which Match My Email can “see” these secondary email addresses and use them for correct matching of email.
USING CUSTOM EMAIL FIELDS AND MATCHING RULES
If you already have fields created on the object to hold one or more alternative email addresses, our support team can provide custom rules for package configuration. The custom fields need to be of type Email and can only hold one address. This is as opposed to being a text field that holds many addresses separated by commas, which our app cannot make use of. You would send the API names of all custom fields, such as Email__c or Other_Email__c and confirm the object such as Contact. We will send rules back with steps for deployment.
Email addresses need to be entered by someone in the organization into these custom fields. This method is useful because it can also be used for Lead records or custom objects with email addresses.
USING THE SECONDARY EMAIL ADDRESS OBJECT
This method can only be used for the Contact object. The Secondary Email Address object is available as part of the installed package. It can be placed on a Contact page layout and does allow Users to put multiple email addresses into the object. It eliminates the need for individual custom email fields, one per email address, and also works with a Create feature from the Email Cloud as described below.
The object is placed in the Related List area of a Contact page layout. It can be added by a Salesforce System Administrator. Steps to do so can be found on our wiki.
To add a Secondary Email Address in Salesforce:
1. On a Contact record, look for the Related section. Its location depends on how your Salesforce team has designed your page layouts.
2. Click on Secondary Email Addresses.
3. Click on New
4. In the small window, fill in as follows:
- For Type – enter descriptor for this alternative email address such as “personal”, “alternative”, etc.
- For Email, enter the alternative email address being used by the Contact. Leave Contact name since it automatically fills in.
- Click SAVE. (Click Save & New if you want to add another secondary email address for this Contact.
Once saved, Match My Email will, upon its next processing cycle, detect this new email address and begin to use it for automatic matching. Any No Match status messages in MME cloud will be automatically reprocessed and matched.
Please note that if you encounter a step that the SEA was submitted for approval, this indicates there is an approval setting or workflow within the Salesforce Organization for Users, perhaps of a particular profile, that is being triggered. Contact your Salesforce System Administrator.
To add a Secondary Email Address from the Match My Email Cloud:
1. Login to the Match My Email cloud.
2. Find a message to or from someone in which they used an email address that didn’t produce a match. Usually, this will be a No Match status message.
3. Hover over the No Match in the far right column and in the Match Details popup, click +Match button. In the next popup window that appears, click the top bar Create a New Record. From the drop down menu, choose Contact Secondary Email. You can click the Show Email button in the bottom left corner of window to open the email message selected in a side-by-side window.
5. Fill in fields as follows:
- For Contact name, begin typing letters of Contact Name and then select the Contact from list. Remember, this feature will only look up Contacts, not Leads.
- For Email Type – type in a descriptive label for this secondary email address such as other email, other business, personal, etc.
- For Email – Select the email address from the displayed side-by-side email and copy/paste, drag/drop, or simply type in the email address.
- Click OK.