Understanding Folder Selection Strategies
Folder Selection is a core Match My Email technology. It differentiates Match My Email from all other email syncing and logging apps. Match My Email imports email for syncing based on when a new email drops into a selected folder (or a selected label in Google mail). Folder Selection offers control over which email messages are imported into the Match My Email cloud (MME) for processing and matched to records in Salesforce.com. With Folder Selection, Match My Email can sync and log email to Salesforce.com for Users in the following ways.
- Fully automatic using Inbox and Sent
- Fully automatic using Inbox and Sent plus Mail Filter/Rules & Alerts Subfolders
- Fully controlled using drag & drop to the Sync to Salesforce Folder
Since email syncing in Match My Email occurs on a 20-minute cycle and depends on when an email drops into a selected folder, the timing aspects of the way you work with email folders needs to be borne in mind:
- Does your email remain in the Inbox until you move them to a subfolder manually?
- Have you set up rules that immediately move emails into subfolders [Mail Filter in Gmail; Rules & Alerts in Outlook]?
Remember that MME brings copies of email from designated folders into the MME cloud, holds them there for 45 days (the maximum email retention period that can be shortened), and then purges them. MME is not a substitute for an email client, nor does it make changes to email accounts on User’s email server.
Folder Selection is configured within EMAIL IMPORTS for a particular User.
When activating a User, or at a time in the future, an Admin can sign in and navigate to the Control Panel. In the left menu, click Users and then click on the name of a Salesforce User that is activated or needs to be activated. In next panel click on Email Imports and then the name of the Import, such as Import1. Folders are displayed and check marks indicate Match My Email is importing copies of messages from those folders.
For Pre June 2019 Accounts not using a Global Admin connection to Microsoft 365, a User would sign into Match My Email and navigate in blue menu ribbon to IMPORT to see a list of their imports. Clicking the name of a specific import will reveal the import settings where tools are available for folder selection. By clicking Refresh Folders, a User will see their current folder structure across the Internet to his or her email service provider and can download the folder structure of his or her email account. In the Available Folders box, they will see all the email folders related to their email account.
MODE 1: Fully Automatic
- The simplest configuration to ensure nothing is missed. This option assumes to rules or filters are moving emails to a subfolder automatically.
- Select Inbox and Sent folders. Please note there can be multiple Sent folders also called “Sent Items”, “Sent Messages”, “Inbox.Sent”, or “[Gmail]Sent”. Choose all folders that contain outgoing email so that MME may process them.
- Save or Confirm.
MODE 2: Fully Automatic Using INBOX, Sent and Mail Filter Subfolders (Mail filters and rules are in place).
- This configuration means that you would want to have MME import from subfolders into which email is immediately moved upon receipt via a rule or filter.
- Select Inbox and Sent folder(s), if desired, and also select the subfolders. A “>” next to a folder such as Inbox means there are subfolders and you should click to expand the list.
- Save or Confirm.
MODE 3: Total Control using a designated “Sync to Salesforce” folder
- This configuration gives the User total control over which emails are synced and logged to Salesforce.com because the User only avails MME to one specific folder. While the processing of emails from this folder is automatic by MME, there is a manual component of requiring the User to move or copy email into this designated folder in their email client. Total Control mode is often favored by executives who have emails that are highly confidential and they don’t want them to end up in Salesforce inadvertently.
- Create a special folder in your email client. We recommend naming it “Sync to Salesforce”.
- When viewing the User’s folders, deselect the Inbox and Sent folders and select only this folder for import.
- Save or Confirm.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need assistance.